The Economist has an article, The rich are different from you and me, on possible differences between classes in giving. Rather than taking a position, which is the wont of most commenters, a review of all the posts gives a good sense of the readers beliefs.
Various suggested reasons:
- The rich are rich because they are cheap
- The rich lack compassion for the poor because they don't experience poverty.
- The rich lack compassion for the poor because the poor are unlike themselves
- Neo-conservative values have tilted us toward "Greed is good."
- But the rich give more. Bill Gates and Warren buffet redeem us all.
- The rich believe people get what they deserve
- The rich enjoy their relative societal position
- ...even more so the larger the difference
- Overreliance on subjects from the developed world skews research.
I was struck but how disproportionately male my reading genres are - I ran across a comment decrying Infinite Jest as one of those 'jerk...
My response to the NYT article Therapists Offer Strategies for Postelection Stress garnered many likes, so I thought I'd repost it here...
I posted a comment in response to An Open Letter to James Damore by Debra Sterling , below: It doesn't get mentioned, but some of the ...
As part of the Damore-related article I responded and posted about , I later wrote responses to other posters in response to a NY Times...