Skip to main content

Do Not Disturb: How I Ditched My Phone and Unbroke My Brain

#1

Some of us have a different form of affliction, the opposite of what you describe, I code. Unlike your problem, it is based on an intense focus. The upside is that it pays well, and I tend to think of it as rewarding. There was a time that my work role was more of a team lead or project manager but wrote code as part of my work. At some point, the pull of solving problems and developing solutions was so at odds with my need to reach out to others, I had to choose, code or lead. I chose to code.

I won't claim to only focus since there are times that once I finish a block of some work, or get involved with something like a forum post, that I make a quick run through my social pages and news feed. To your point though, I still read books but tend to do it in a Pomodoro-style rotation, spending 20 to 25 minutes on each item. No longer can I find the intensity to read into the late hours, engrossed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/business/cell-phone-addiction.html?comments#permid=30770990

#2

Some of us were lucky, as it relates to this problem, to have acquired our tech skills before the arrival of the mobile phone. Boomer focus tends to be more on internet-as-information, not entertainment, nor socialization. I do not mean this an absolute, but it is enough to explain why some of us have no issues with mobile phones and distraction since many of us are simply older and not mobile tech-savvy. Besides, designers and marketers have likely gotten smarter in their techniques, and many, maybe most, younger people get hooked on the behaviorist manipulation, reward and punishment, notification and withdrawal, that come with the always-on aspects of modern apps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/business/cell-phone-addiction.html?comments#permid=30771753

#3

@Zenster - I haven't gotten out of their way for several years, and sometimes the oblivious walk into me, and at a fairly fit 6'4" and 225 lbs, I'm either an unstoppable force or an immovable object, depending on your perspective. I stick to my side of the walk, and usually, nothing comes of this, a minor brush here or there, but a few weeks ago, someone walked into me, then after walking 10 feet, he turned and yelled to say that I should have gotten out of his way - he actually had veered across the walk into me. When I responded, he then told me I should watch where I was going - my eyes are usually halfway down the block ahead of myself. He then insulted me, and when I outraged insulted him, he said something alluding that I was being rude and that I probably beat my wife. He then walked away, and I then somewhat goofily yelled that my wife thinks I'm an angel. Feeling foolish, I told her about the incident, and rather than agreeing that the last line was a bit much, squeezed me so hard and insisted that I was an angel!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/business/cell-phone-addiction.html?comments#permid=30773377:30775831





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert M. Sapolsky My rating: 5 of 5 stars I finished reading this crying. It is a work of neurobiology, social science, anthropology, and history, but ultimately it is a work of great humanity, suggesting ways that humans, our groups, our systems, and our societies can be made better. View all my reviews

Don't learn to code. Learn to think.

A response to  Don't learn to code. Learn to think. : Below is is my usual response when I see an article stating that everyone should learn to code:  Rather than programming, it is more important to impart the thinking of computer science (CS) than a specific implementation. Programming can be an end point for some students, but it is likely that programming itself will be increasingly automated, so that one needs more the general concepts common in CS. Even then, programming itself is to some degree a grunt task that one progresses beyond:  The following are typical components of a CS degree: algorithms & flowcharting systems thinking logical systems and set theory object-orientation & patterns probability, statistics, mathematics All of the above can be useful in an increasingly automated and data-driven world.

A Journey — if You Dare — Into the Minds of Silicon Valley Programmers

My responses in a NY Times comment section for the book, Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World by Clive Thompson : #1 - Link Although I've been a software developer for 15 years, and for longer alternating between a project manager, team lead, or analyst, mostly in finance, and now with a cancer center, I found it funny that you blame the people doing the coding for not seeing the harm it could cause. First, most scientific advancement has dark elements, and it is usually not the science but how it is used and sold by business people that is the problem. This leads to the second problem, in that it is not coding that is in itself problematic, but specifically how technology is harnessed to sell. It is normal and desirable to track users, to log actions, to collect telemetry, so as to monitor systems, respond to errors, and to develop new features, but that normal engineering practice has been used to surveil users for the purpose of selling. Blaming