Skip to main content

Everyone Knows Memory Fails as You Age. But Everyone Is Wrong


Photo by Rene Asmussen from Pexels

#1

One wonders if some of the feelings of verbal loss have to do with age at which we peak, the '40s, in that verbal ability seems to rise from our teens, peak in midlife, and decline in our senior years. Peak verbal ability might be in the forties, and although my vocabulary is still increasing - I do NYT Sundays/Thursdays, but could only finish Mondays when I was younger - at 60, it means coming down from a 99th percentile high for other activities.

As to the volume of information, we have at our disposal, although true that it can longer go through large stores, there are increases in the noise levels of the brain, adding to the decline in recovery speed.

#2

I think I'm still the same forgetful person I was when I was a young adult but 4 aspects have changed, resulting in fewer mistakes:

- Development of Habits / Conscientiousness
- Electronic systems/software
- Using alternatives ways of doing things, microwaves, timers, etc.
- Spouse's memory for all the other stuff I'd ignore or forget

I was always someone that got the gist more than the details. I was always good at faces, bad at names. I often lost the house key or burn pots. I'm still someone that can forget to do things, like pick up bananas or milk.

I still would be if it wasn't for the aforementioned life hacks, well...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert M. Sapolsky My rating: 5 of 5 stars I finished reading this crying. It is a work of neurobiology, social science, anthropology, and history, but ultimately it is a work of great humanity, suggesting ways that humans, our groups, our systems, and our societies can be made better. View all my reviews

Don't learn to code. Learn to think.

A response to  Don't learn to code. Learn to think. : Below is is my usual response when I see an article stating that everyone should learn to code:  Rather than programming, it is more important to impart the thinking of computer science (CS) than a specific implementation. Programming can be an end point for some students, but it is likely that programming itself will be increasingly automated, so that one needs more the general concepts common in CS. Even then, programming itself is to some degree a grunt task that one progresses beyond:  The following are typical components of a CS degree: algorithms & flowcharting systems thinking logical systems and set theory object-orientation & patterns probability, statistics, mathematics All of the above can be useful in an increasingly automated and data-driven world.

A Journey — if You Dare — Into the Minds of Silicon Valley Programmers

My responses in a NY Times comment section for the book, Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World by Clive Thompson : #1 - Link Although I've been a software developer for 15 years, and for longer alternating between a project manager, team lead, or analyst, mostly in finance, and now with a cancer center, I found it funny that you blame the people doing the coding for not seeing the harm it could cause. First, most scientific advancement has dark elements, and it is usually not the science but how it is used and sold by business people that is the problem. This leads to the second problem, in that it is not coding that is in itself problematic, but specifically how technology is harnessed to sell. It is normal and desirable to track users, to log actions, to collect telemetry, so as to monitor systems, respond to errors, and to develop new features, but that normal engineering practice has been used to surveil users for the purpose of selling. Blaming