Skip to main content

The Myth of the Urban Boomer



Article: The Myth of the Urban Boomer - The New York Times

There is an allure to the suburbs for me, but only the density of the greenery, having nearby forests and woods. The suburbs themselves are something I privately deride, rows of environmentally-harmful, often cookie-cutter housing, the ugliness of strip malls, and the irritations of car ownership.
We were lucky to have bought our condo in 2008, near the beginning of the mini-RE crash in Manhattan, and before the rise of the luxury market, in a large, quiet, condo overlooking a 3-acre park. I have a 15-minute walk to work. I take long walks on weekends to see how the different areas change or through Central Park, visit museums, and stop at a cafe or two to read. NYC is where we want to be, except maybe in another city, maybe the west coast or in Europe (a bit of fantasy). Even when my spouse and I are both retired, urban living will likely be our preference, although, as mentioned before, there is always the allure of deep green forest and the outdoors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, Third Edition

Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, Third Edition by Geert Hofstede My rating: 4 of 5 stars A detailed and fascinating review of Hofstede's dimensions, by the researcher himself, showing broad high-level insights into history and culture, although a bit tedious, as it often describes in detail relationships many of us implicitly understand. View all my reviews

Global Warming and Methane Reduction

I was an ovolactovegetarian for several years in my twenties, in the late 1980's, but the lack of convenient food sources, social pressure, and mild athletic anemia, pushed me to adopt more meat-oriented diet. Also, being an insulin-dependent diabetic, eating low-fat, low-carbohydrate protein sources reduced my need for injections. Over time, I have returned to vegetarianism, although my reasons are grounded in self-interest and concern for the environment. My energy consumption is relatively low, as I live in a major city and very selectively use automobiles for transportation. Lately though, I have been reminded that domesticated animals are large contributors to global warming (methane creation) and inefficient protein producers (4 to 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat). Additionally, vegetarianism, and related calorie reduction, are associated with increased longevity. Both have pushed my back to vegetarianism. Regardless of the history, vegetarianism is a better c...

Review: The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision

An excellent, incredibly insightful and informative book, somewhat marred by the tedium experienced in the authors' rehashing the ideas of organizations working for change. For most of this book, the writers masterfully tie together concepts in systems, mathematics, consciousness, the environment, society and biology, and for that, it is a brilliant read. My rating: 5 of 5 stars The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision by Fritjof Capra View all my reviews