Skip to main content

Am I ‘Old’?

#1

On the flip side, I was recently hired by a major medical center, and as part of orientation, I sat with a group of 10 or so 20-somethings. I am 58. Without leadership, when others can't decide, I usually step in, comfortable with the risk of failure, and in this case, it worked out well. By the end of the two days, I was thanked for being their leader through the various activities, but I commented, and I think they understood, I am more of a democratic leader, accepting input while directing our efforts. I was also thanked for my kindness, which seemed odd, but they explained that many older people deride them. I was quite surprised but realized later I had decided in my youth not to be one of 'those', cranky older sticks-in-the-mud, those that see the difference in youth as a flaw. I hope never to mistake those changes as bad, only recognizing that it is simply a different time, the same as when I was their age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/well/mind/age-aging-old-young-psychology.html?comments#permid=29729779

#2

One hates the cliche of "You're as old as you feel!", but I certainly don't feel old, the benefit of lifelong fitness and a penchant for learning. Then again, one can't help be aware of the slow arc of age, both good and bad. On the downside, my top-of-the-curve fitness is merely average for a 25-year old. My intellect is still bright, although I rarely have a chance to test my wits, since the youngest person in our social circle is 40, and I only occasionally work with recent college graduates. Recently, many post-college locals have taken to using the pronoun sir when talking to me. On the upside, I am happy, comfortable in life, secure with a partner that loves me. I work as a software developer, fairly current in modern technologies and programming languages, but that sometimes matters little, as when a manager interviewing me says "I didn't expect someone so senior!". By some analyses, my online social profiles resemble someone in their early 30's.

In the end, one has to deal with not just with the changes of age, but often the stereotyping by others. Then again, it can certainly be an interesting point of observation, the relationship between one's abilities and the treatment by others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/well/mind/age-aging-old-young-psychology.html?comments#permid=29730167

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/well/mind/age-aging-old-young-psychology.html?comments#permid=29729840


#3

I was reminded of a recent incident where I directed someone not to push the elevator buttons - our condo elevator has both the curse and benefit of closing immediately when a button is pressed - because old people need time to get in. Later, I realized that I am old to those people I admonished. I am 58, and as the article mentions, old is relative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/well/mind/age-aging-old-young-psychology.html?comments#permid=29729975



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert M. Sapolsky My rating: 5 of 5 stars I finished reading this crying. It is a work of neurobiology, social science, anthropology, and history, but ultimately it is a work of great humanity, suggesting ways that humans, our groups, our systems, and our societies can be made better. View all my reviews

A Journey — if You Dare — Into the Minds of Silicon Valley Programmers

My responses in a NY Times comment section for the book, Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World by Clive Thompson : #1 - Link Although I've been a software developer for 15 years, and for longer alternating between a project manager, team lead, or analyst, mostly in finance, and now with a cancer center, I found it funny that you blame the people doing the coding for not seeing the harm it could cause. First, most scientific advancement has dark elements, and it is usually not the science but how it is used and sold by business people that is the problem. This leads to the second problem, in that it is not coding that is in itself problematic, but specifically how technology is harnessed to sell. It is normal and desirable to track users, to log actions, to collect telemetry, so as to monitor systems, respond to errors, and to develop new features, but that normal engineering practice has been used to surveil users for the purpose of selling. Blaming

Don't learn to code. Learn to think.

A response to  Don't learn to code. Learn to think. : Below is is my usual response when I see an article stating that everyone should learn to code:  Rather than programming, it is more important to impart the thinking of computer science (CS) than a specific implementation. Programming can be an end point for some students, but it is likely that programming itself will be increasingly automated, so that one needs more the general concepts common in CS. Even then, programming itself is to some degree a grunt task that one progresses beyond:  The following are typical components of a CS degree: algorithms & flowcharting systems thinking logical systems and set theory object-orientation & patterns probability, statistics, mathematics All of the above can be useful in an increasingly automated and data-driven world.